Patient instruction leaflet
The Glaxo SUBJECT injection system is designed for use with a medicine called IMIGRAN Injection.
Each SUBJECT comes complete with an IMIGRAN Cartridge Pack.
SUBJECT Refill Packs containing just the IMIGRAN Cartridge Pack are also available.
The Cartridge Pack contains two pre-filled Cartridge Syringes.
This leaflet shows you how to load the SUBJECT Pen and how to use it to give a dose of IMIGRAN Injection.
Please read both leaflets enclosed with your medicine before using the injection.
KEEP ALL MEDICINES OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN
IMIGRAN, IMIGRAN logo, SUBJECT and SUBJECT logo are trade marks owned by the Glaxo Group of Companies
Glaxo Laboratories Limited
Stockley Park West, Uxbridge, Middlesex UB11 1BT
DESCRIPTION OF PARTS
HOW TO GIVE AN INJECTION USING THE SUBJECT PEN
Each IMIGRAN SUBJECT Treatment Pack comes complete with a Cartridge Pack
which contains two pre-filled Cartridge Syringes.
Read the leaflet fully and carefully before using the SUBJECT Pen.
DO NOT LOAD THE PEN UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO GIVE THE INJECTION
Learn the names of the parts in
the picture in "Description of Parts".
- Swing open the lid of the Carrycase
- Tear off the tamper-evident seal from ONE of the Cartridges.
- Take out the SUBJECT Pen from the Carrycase. The spring mechanism will be primed ready for use – the white plunger rod should not be sticking out beyond the end of the pen. (See picture 11).
- Keeping your finger off the blue release button pull the loaded SUBJECT Pen straight out of the Carrycase. You may have to pull quite hard to do this. A safety catch stops accidental injection until you are ready.
- The loaded Pen is now ready for immediate use.
DO NOT try to put the loaded Pen back into the Carrycase as this will damage the needle
- Press the nose end of the loaded SUBJECT Pen firmly onto a clean area of skin - usually the outside of the thigh (as in picture) - so the grey part slides over the blue part. This releases the safety catch.
- Push the SUBJECT Pen firmly into the opened Cartridge Pack and screw it clockwise (about half a turn) until it will twist no further.
- Immediately return the used Cartridge Syringe to the Cartridge Pack – pushing the SUBJECT Pen down into the empty space in the Cartridge Pack as far as it will go.
- Then screw the SUBJECT Pen by twisting it anti-clockwise (about half a turn) until the SUBJECT Pen comes off the Cartridge.
- Now press the blue Release button at the top of the SUBJECT Pen and count to 10 keeping the SUBJECT Pen very still.
DO NOT TAKE IT AWAY FROM THE SKIN TOO SOON OR SOME OF THE INJECTION MAY BE WASTED
Then lift it off taking care to AVOID THE NEEDLE POINT
- Withdraw the SUBJECT Pen from the Cartridge Pack. Close the lid of the Cartridge Pack over the used Cartridge Syringe.
HOW TO REMOVE THE USED CARTRIDGE PACK
- Put the SUBJECT Pen back into its place in the Carrycase and push it down until it stays down. It will click into place. The SUBJECT Pen is then primed ready for use next time.
- Close the lid of the Carrycase until you need to use the next Cartridge Syringe. When you have used both Cartridges, remove and replace the Cartridge Pack. (See pages 11 to 14).
- When both doses have been used, t he Cartridge Pack may be removed for disposal.
- Hold the Carrycase and press the two blue locating buttons with one hand.
HOW TO PUT A NEW CARTRIDGE PACK INTO THE CARRY CASE
- Gently pull out the Cartridge Pack with the other hand.
- Be careful to dispose of your empty Cartridge Packs safely. The Cartridge Pack will hold the used SUBJECT Cartridge Syringes and needles until you can safely dispose of them. You should be able to do this at your doctor's surgery - so ask your doctor or practice nurse.
Each SUBJECT comes complete with an IMIGRAN Cartridge Pack which contains two pre-filled Cartridge Syringes.
This part of the leaflet describes how to use a SUBJECT Refill Pack to re-load the Carrycase.
- Swing open the lid of the Carrycase, the SUBJECT Pen is already in its place.
- Push the Cartridge Pack into the Carrycase, pressing the blue buttons on either side so it slides in smoothly.
- It does not matter which side of the Cartridge Pack is closest to the SUBJECT Pen.
- The Cartridge Pack is in the right position when the blue locating buttons show through the holes on either side of the Carrycase.
- Close the Carrycase by swinging back the lid and snapping it shut.
- NO HARM WILL COME TO THE INJECTION REFILL PACK WHEN IT IS KEPT LIKE THIS IN THE SUBJECT CARRYCASE .
Keep your injections at a temperature below 30°C/86°F. If they are kept warmer than this for more than 24 hours it could spoil them.